Sunday, July 22, 2007

Super Hero

We had an adventuresome trip to NY last weekend. My husband and our four children ages 7mos to 6 yrs packed tightly into our suburban fought the Pennsylvania traffic, bad online directions to finally arrive at our State Park camping destination around midnight-3 hrs later than anticipated. While he set up tents in the dark I arranged crying children neatly in their sleeping bags in the suburban hoping that my over tired 2 yr old didn't fall out of the front seat or get lost in the woods and that my baby didn't eat anything scary sitting in the dark grass at my feet.
When they were settle safely in I took on my next task, babe in arms and 2yr old zipped into a tent, of blowing up the air matress(those 4 baby hips can't take the dirt anymore). I was discouraged when I discovered the pump wouldn't do the job but I moved right on to putting baby and mommy to bed only to discover that somewhere in my dark tracks I had lost the pacifier. This was the only way my bedless baby was going to sleep next to me quietly and allow me to go to sleep and it was nowhere to be found. I retraced all my steps and I tearfully resigned myself to a night of torture. As I lay on the hard ground w/ baby on my tummy patting her little wiggly bum I heard my husband puttering around outside and wondered what he was up to. about 30 min later, still patting, I heard my tent being unzipped and in popped a fully inflated bed from heaven. My darling husband, tired though he was, had blown the whole thing up with his own breath. About 2 min after that, I heard my tent unzip for the second time and there shaking quietly so as not to undo the work I was doing trying to get the baby to sleep, was her pacifier.
Talk about a super hero!

No comments: